Low Calorie, High Protein Mocha Cookie Frappuccino
For me (Richie Brew), a HUGE coffee fan, one of the best things about the summer menus at my favourite coffee establishments is that the Frappuccino menu expands to some absolutely crazy concoctions. However, just to give you an insight, and maybe a little bit of an eye opener – my favourite of these, is the Starbucks "Mocha Cookie Crumble" frap, which, if ordered in Venti, comes out at a whopping 700+ calories, over 200 calories coming from fat & nearly 30% of calories coming from sugar. This is kind of annoying for most people, who want to enjoy a nice iced coffee beverage, but can't sacrifice all those calories for their daily targets or, are just looking to get in shape leading up to the summer/summer holiday.
I'm certainly not trying to be Clean Eating Alice here – but have a look at the recipe below I use, when making a high protein, low sugar, lower carb version of this delight. It's probably not going to give your taste buds the excitement of the above mentioned, but it's a formidable replacement for me, tastes great and doesn't make me feel like I'm losing out when I see others enjoying those 700 odd cals…
Here's what you need::
- A decent blender (I use a NutriBullet or NutriNinja)
- 100 - 200g of (crushed) ice cubes
- LDNM Whey Protein (chocolate) – 25g scoop
- Stevia – 2 teaspoons
- Nesquik or cacao powder – 2 teaspoons
- Nairn's dark chocolate biscuits – 4 biscuits
- Double or triple shot of espresso/1.5 teaspoons of instant coffee of your choice
- 200 - 250ml of skimmed milk
- Optional: Walden's Farm zero calorie syrup or chocolate sauce.
- Use some of your gains to crush up the dark chocolate biscuits to the point that they will mix & fit up a straw & not so big you can choke on them!
- Fill your blender with the desired amount of ice cubes & add the milk then add your stevia, whey, biscuits, coffee, Nesquik & optional extras. Top the mix up with water depending on how much volume you want/ice cubes you’ve used.
- Blend until you get a decent drinkable consistency (this may take some practise – and, note to all NutriBullet users, if you haven’t used enough ice, that blender will decimate the mix in VERY quick time), add further water or milk if the crushed ice solidifies the mix to a point it starts to stick/not blend properly.
- Pour into your favourite protein shaker/frap cup (if you have one) & enjoy! Obviously, you can add or subtract ingredients to your specification, but the above usually works for me….Easy as that!
Calories and macros (approx.):
- Calories: 295
- Protein: 27g
- Fats: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 33g (approx. 10-12g sugar)
Remember to tweet your photos to @LDN_Muscle and hashtag #LDNMuscle and #LDNMSupps with photos of your creation on Instagram!
See our delicious, high quality whey protein range here >